Principal of General Studies 2019/20
To view the full position profile, please follow this link: http://bit.ly/YHAPrincipal
The Principal of General Studies' primary responsibility is to ensure that Yavneh’s proud history of academic excellence, the warmth of its community, and its students’ enthusiastic engagement in learning only improve in the years to come.
The Principal must be a detail-oriented educator, capable of overseeing and administering all aspects of academic life and communicating a clear educational vision to faculty and parents. Drawing on a deep background of administrative and teaching experience, the Principal will lead, mentor, support, and evaluate all General Studies faculty. Among the Principal’s core responsibilities is the implementation of a rigorous General Studies curriculum that is well thought out and aligns with the goals and mission of the school.
Yavneh’s greatest strength is its dual curriculum, but that also provides a challenge. The Principal will supervise and support the General Studies faculty in distilling education to its most substantive essentials so that the students get the skills they require without sacrificing student engagement or love of learning. The Principal will work to create pathways for advanced students to be challenged as well as work with the Director of the Center for Achievement to help students who require additional support.
The support and involvement of parents are critical to Yavneh’s ability to reach its goals. The Principal will maintain clear communication with our parent body and ensure teacher-parent communications are fluid and well-maintained.
Principal’s Responsibilities, in Detail:
- Report to Head of School (our “Dean and Rav”)
- Act as the educational leader of the school, responsible for the day-to-day operations.
- Observe, supervise, and mentor all General Studies faculty. Oversee and support the Department Chairs. Provide recommendations to the Head of School regarding the recruitment and retention of a superlative faculty. Conduct new faculty orientation and faculty meetings.
- Construct and manage a rigorous General Studies curriculum that is well thought out, aligned with the educational goals and mission of the school, and centered on a growth-mindset approach to learning.
- Work alongside the Principal of Judaic Studies and other administrative staff to ensure a cohesive educational environment and act as a liaison between the Administration and the COO and Marketing Director of the school.
- Oversee the arts, athletics, and informal education programming, working collaboratively with the various directors.
- Manage and coordinate parent relations, ensuring outstanding communications with our parent constituency and excellence and responsiveness in teacher-parent communications.
- Create school-wide systems for overall smooth operations of all educational programs. Manage attendance, master calendar, and substitute faculty. Ensure the quality, thoughtfulness, and timeliness of report-card creation and distribution, including various accompanying letters.
- Maintain a visible presence in all areas of the school, and work towards a resolution of all problems as they arise, keeping the Head of School informed of those issues.
- Maintain regular dialogue with the Head of School regarding developments of the general programs and activities in the school.
- An advanced degree
- Administrative & teaching experience
- Thorough knowledge of elementary and middle grades curricula
- Outstanding people skills
- Managerial acumen, excellent organizational skills, and ability to communicate clearly
- Experience in mentoring teachers
- Ability and willingness to boil-down education to the substantive essentials without sacrificing student engagement, meeting the time constraints of a dual curriculum