Scoot Education is seeking a Finance Assistant to join our happy and diverse team to help with a varied set of responsibilities related to finance, billing, payroll, and reporting.
It is essential that applicants possess a background in Internal Accounting, Payroll Administration or Financial Accounting with an ability to hit the ground running, a self-starter, working proactively and autonomously but unafraid to ask questions.
The objective of this role is to handle the day-to-day operations of daily bookkeeping, payroll & AR/AP. This role is ideally suited to a candidate that is looking for a challenge and is ready to be accountable for their role in the business.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Possess knowledge of general accounting rules to properly record entries
- Have an introductory understanding of the US federal tax system as well as state payroll taxes in California and willing to learn other state's requirements
- Demonstrate great written and verbal communication skills
- Have intermediate Excel skills
- Have a strong attention to details
- Be inquisitive and able to solve problems creatively
- Preferred but not essential: Previous use of XERO accounting software and/or ADP Workforce Now for payroll
Billings, Payroll & Credit Control
- Weekly processing of payroll as well as invoicing for our substitute services through our internal systems and external payroll provider
- Issue weekly invoices on a timely basis and ensure high accuracy of billings
- Issue weekly statements on a timely basis
- Liaise with education consultants and schools to resolve any billing discrepancies
- Perform credit control and generate debtor summary report on a weekly basis for review by CEO
- Ensure all supplier invoices and staff expenses are entered correctly and paid on time
- Code and reconcile all company credit card transactions on a timely basis
- Perform bank reconciliations through our accounting software
- Prepare internal staff payroll and teacher payroll for review by the CEO
- Code payroll transactions in XERO correctly
- Review monthly health insurance invoices and payroll entries related to health insurance to determine the accuracy of these transactions
- Administration of 401k to determine accuracy of these transactions
- Preparation and reconciliation of monthly workers' compensation return
- Handle business licenses, property tax and gross receipts tax returns as required
- Ensure payroll compliance with US federal and state tax filing system
- Reports to the United States CEO with guidance and support from the Global CFO
- Role is based in Culver City, Los Angeles
- 40 hours per week spread across Monday to Friday with a combination of in-office and work from home
- Package includes health benefits, unlimited PTO, 401K
- Be part of an organization committed to education
- Startup culture
- Small team means your ideas & opinions matter
- Provision of medical, vision, dental insurance
- Generous PTO (our founders are Australian :) Those guys get it!)
- Book Club--because we believe in being constant lifelong learners with growth mindsets
- Modern office: think standing desks and Macs and more!
At Scoot Education, we place exceptional people in educational settings. We invest in teachers looking for substitute or full-time teaching positions and connect them with stellar independent, charter, private, and religiously-affiliated schools across California.
Scoot Education is a privately-funded, rapidly growing startup. Our parent company, anzuk Education, got its start in 2004 and now has offices in Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Canada.