Scoot Education is seeking a Finance Generalist to join our happy and diverse team to help with a varied set of responsibilities related to finance, billing, payroll, and reporting.
It is essential that applicants possess a proven background as an Internal Accountant or Experienced Bookkeeper with an ability to hit the ground running, working proactively and autonomously.
The objective of this role is to handle the day to day operations of daily bookkeeping, accounting, payroll & financial compliance. This role is ideally suited to a candidate that is looking for a challenge and is ready to be accountable for their role in the business.
- Degree-qualified in Accounting or related field
- A sound understanding of the US federal tax system as well as state payroll taxes in California
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Strong attention to details and a sense of commercial acumen
- Exposure of XERO accounting software (not essential)
Billings, Payroll & Credit Control
- Weekly processing of paying and invoicing our substitute teachers through our internal systems and external payroll provider
- Issue weekly invoices on a timely basis and ensure high accuracy of billings
- Issue weekly statements on a timely basis
- Liaise with education consultants and schools to resolve any billing discrepancies
- Perform credit control and generate debtor summary report on a weekly basis for review by Finance Business Partner
- Ensure all supplier invoices and staff expenses are entered correctly and paid on time
- Code and reconcile all company credit card transactions on a timely basis
- Perform bank reconciliations through our accounting software
- Prepare internal staff payroll and teacher payroll for review by the CEO
- Code payroll transactions in XERO correctly
- Review monthly health insurance invoices and payroll entries related to health insurance to determine the accuracy of these transactions
- Administration of 401k to determine accuracy of these transactions
- Weekly Net Fee Income (NFI) / Gross Profit reconciliation: update margin performance based on sales and payroll data for substitute teachers and report to the business accordingly
- Monthly NFI / Gross Profit reconciliation: collate weekly margin analysis and perform reconciliation on staff costs and sales to arrive at final monthly position
- Balance Sheet reconciliation: prepare all journal entries required for month-end procedures and perform balance sheet reconciliation for review by Finance Business Partner
- Prepare monthly management accounts: prepare Income statement report for the month and YTD and update the CEO, CFO and Finance Business Partner accordingly
- Variance Analysis: provide meaningful comments into variances between actual overheads and budget
- Preparation and reconciliation of monthly workers compensation return
- Business Licenses and Property Tax Returns as required
- Any other analysis / financial compliance as required by the business from time to time
- Reports to the United States CEO with guidance and support from the global CFO
- Role is based in Culver City, Los Angeles
- 40 hours (in office) per week spread across Monday to Friday
- Package includes health benefits, unlimited PTO, 401K
- Be part of an organization committed to education
- Startup culture
- Small team means your ideas & opinions matter
- Provision of medical, vision, dental insurance
- Generous PTO (our founders are Australian :) Those guys get it!)
- Book Club--because we believe in being constant lifelong learners with growth mindsets
- Modern office: think standing desks and Macs and more!
At Scoot Education, we place exceptional people in educational settings. We invest in teachers looking for substitute or full-time teaching positions and connect them with stellar independent, charter, private, and religiously-affiliated schools across California.
Scoot Education is a privately-funded, rapidly growing startup. Our parent company, anzuk Education, got its start in 2004 and now has offices in Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Canada.