Scoot Education is seeking a Finance Manager to join our happy and diverse team to help with a varied set of responsibilities related to finance, billing, payroll, and reporting.
It is essential that applicants possess a proven background and track record as an Internal Accountant or Financial Accountant with an ability to hit the ground running, a self-starter, working proactively and autonomously but unafraid to ask questions.
The objective of this role is to handle the day-to-day operations of daily bookkeeping, accounting, payroll & financial compliance. This role is ideally suited to a candidate that is looking for a challenge and is ready to be accountable for their role in the business.
- Degree-qualified in Accounting and CPA qualified or working towards qualification
- Possess in-depth knowledge of GAAP accounting rules to properly record entries
- A sound understanding of the US federal tax system as well as state payroll taxes in California
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Strong attention to details and a sense of commercial acumen
- Must be inquisitive and able to solve problems creatively
- Exposure of XERO accounting software (not essential)
Billings, Payroll & Credit Control
- Weekly processing of paying and invoicing our substitute teachers through our internal systems and external payroll provider
- Issue weekly invoices on a timely basis and ensure high accuracy of billings
- Issue weekly statements on a timely basis
- Liaise with education consultants and schools to resolve any billing discrepancies
- Perform credit control and generate debtor summary report on a weekly basis for review by CEO
- Ensure all supplier invoices and staff expenses are entered correctly and paid on time
- Code and reconcile all company credit card transactions on a timely basis
- Perform bank reconciliations through our accounting software
- Update and maintain cash flow forecast to project future cash flow requirements
- Prepare internal staff payroll and teacher payroll for review by the CEO
- Code payroll transactions in XERO correctly
- Review monthly health insurance invoices and payroll entries related to health insurance to determine the accuracy of these transactions
- Administration of 401k to determine accuracy of these transactions
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by maintaining controls and checks across all departments.
- Weekly Net Fee Income (NFI) / Gross Profit reconciliation: update margin performance based on sales and payroll data for substitute teachers and report to the business accordingly
- Monthly NFI / Gross Profit reconciliation: collate weekly margin analysis and perform reconciliation on staff costs and sales to arrive at final monthly position
- Balance Sheet reconciliation: prepare all journal entries required for month-end procedures and perform balance sheet reconciliation for review by Group CFO
- Prepare monthly management accounts: prepare Income statement report for the month and YTD and update the CEO and CFO accordingly
- Variance Analysis: provide meaningful comments into variances between actual overheads and budget
- Preparation and reconciliation of monthly workers compensation return
- Business Licenses, Property Tax and Gross Receipts Tax Returns as required
- Ensure payroll compliance with US federal and state tax filing system
- Any other analysis / financial compliance as required by the business from time to time
- Reports to the United States CEO with guidance and support from the Global CFO
- Role is based in Culver City, Los Angeles
- 40 hours per week spread across Monday to Friday with a combination of in-office and work from home
- Package includes health benefits, unlimited PTO, 401K
- Be part of an organization committed to education
- Startup culture
- Small team means your ideas & opinions matter
- Provision of medical, vision, dental insurance
- Generous PTO (our founders are Australian :) Those guys get it!)
- Book Club--because we believe in being constant lifelong learners with growth mindsets
- Modern office: think standing desks and Macs and more!
At Scoot Education, we place exceptional people in educational settings. We invest in teachers looking for substitute or full-time teaching positions and connect them with stellar independent, charter, private, and religiously-affiliated schools across California.
Scoot Education is a privately-funded, rapidly growing startup. Our parent company, anzuk Education, got its start in 2004 and now has offices in Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Canada.