Start date: August 2019
A coeducational, independent school in Los Angeles serving nearly 1600 students in grades 7-12, seeks to hire an exceptional and highly qualified individual for a full-time teaching position at the Upper School (grades 10-12).
The job entails teaching AP Biology or an equivalent advanced-level course in biology and, depending on section enrollment from one year to the next, one or more biology electives. The school hopes to offer either Human Anatomy & Physiology or Genetics & Biotechnology. However, the ability of a candidate to teach other electives would be considered.
AP/Advanced Biology: The applicant will work on a team with 2-4 instructors, teaching to juniors and seniors.
Electives (HAP, Genetics): A core curriculum is currently in place for each course, but the applicant has the flexibility to develop their own curriculum which is taught to juniors and seniors.
- BA Biology/Zoology/Physiology/Marine Biology/Ecology/Environmental Biology/Biomedical Sciences/Biochemistry/, or similar; MS/PhD preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate concepts in a clear and concise manner, and to foster an innovative and creative learning environment.
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to work with colleagues in creating, developing, and implementing science curricula.
- Ideal candidates will be excited by becoming part of our vibrant school community, broadly engaging with students and colleagues, and occasionally attending events outside their particular field of study.
- Ability to teach advanced-level biology is primary; the ideal candidate should also have an educational background providing the flexibility to teach an elective course depending on personal interest and departmental need. Some teaching experience preferred.
- The science department provides students with opportunities to develop their skills in a laboratory to discover, explore, and analyze while working cooperatively with peers. Experience with curriculum in laboratory is preferred.