Successful teachers should be able to teach grades 7-12, with a particular passion for middle school grades. Students and teachers work together to develop understandings of the past that allow us to critically analyze the present as well as seek to understand the past on its own terms. Using historical thinking to appreciate, analyze and interrogate sources and build historical arguments, the content is used as a vehicle for thinking not simply as an end in itself.
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community!
As a History teacher, you will:
- Design and coordinate curriculum with other members of the department and within teaching teams for each assigned course and liaise with other departments to build cross disciplinary experiences
- Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and communicate with parents and Division teams regarding student progress.
- Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in history pedagogy by applying it in the classroom and sharing it with teachers on a departmental and school-wide basis
- Participate actively in the life of the school, through attendance at events, committee membership, and leadership of extracurricular activities
- Perform other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by the divisional directors.
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
- Retirement Plan options
- Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
- A bachelor’s degree in History or a closely related field; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of three years of full-time experience teaching History
- A demonstrable passion for historical thinking and working with young people
- Evidence of significant recent professional development
- Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
- Knowledge and understanding of independent school communities (preferred)
- A willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom
- A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
Have you heard of Scoot?
We’re an educational staffing company specializing in helping teachers find their dream job--for free! Top-ranked schools across Los Angeles partner with Scoot to find the best educators because of the individualistic and attentive approach we take with educators.
With 100% confidentiality, we walk you through the entire application process from submitting your resume to negotiating the best offer! Who knew finding your next teaching job could be so easy?