- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Education, Master's preferred
- Math single subject credential or authorization to teach math
- Experience working with urban student populations
- Strong classroom management skills
- Facility with the Spanish language (preferred)
Among their early accomplishments, this school won the 2012 California Distinguished School Award and a #8 ranking in USC’s 2013 list of top charter schools in the state. Their student population is 100% extraordinary, 97% Latino, 95% free/reduced lunch, 38% English Language Learners, and 14% of the students receive special education services.
Their team is made up of a highly ambitious group of teachers and staff who share a passion for closing the achievement gap. They use team teaching in middle school modeled after the successful Uncommon Schools and Achievement First schools on the east coast. They have high expectations for academics and discipline, and simultaneously value joy in the classroom, making learning fun for their scholars and teachers. In September of 2017, they moved to a brand new, beautifully renovated campus in Boyle Heights just across the LA River from the Arts District.