Start date: August 2019
About the school
A coeducational, independent school in Los Angeles serving nearly 1600 students in grades 7-12, seeks to hire an exceptional and highly qualified educator for a full-time Spanish teaching position in the World Languages Department at the Middle School (grades 7-9).
The school actively strives to be a diverse and inclusive community in its educational, admission, and employment practices. They do not discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, or any other characteristic. They seek candidates who demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; have an ability to work flexibly, independently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds; and have a capacity to serve as a model of openness, generosity, and acceptance.
The successful candidate will have the demonstrated ability to deliver rich and effective lessons to teach the Spanish language, including speaking, reading, writing, and grammatical skills, to a diverse group of students, likely including native and non-native Spanish speakers. The ideal candidate will have experience initiating, facilitating, and moderating classroom discussions in the target language to enhance students' social and academic language skill. Familiarity with Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs) is expected. Experience participating in team planning and demonstrated success developing lessons within a team model is essential. The World Languages Department seeks those committed to team teaching, innovation, and collegiality.
- Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent degree in Spanish, Education, Linguistics or related field;
- Experience teaching beginning, intermediate, and advanced Spanish as a second language in a school classroom environment;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Demonstrated collegiality, collaboration, teamwork, and organization;
- Ability to communicate concepts in a clear and concise manner to students and foster an innovative and creative learning environment;
- Ideal candidates will be excited to become part of their vibrant school community, broadly engaging with students and colleagues, and attending events outside their particular field of study.